18/01/2013

Localities Publication Launch!

So it's been a couple of days since the launch of our publication, so about time I wrote a review for you all whilst avoiding the freak snowstorm happening outside my window right now! Welsh weather is never predictable. I can safely say it started as one of the most stressful days of the whole 4 months of the project for me (due to major, last minute printing problems - cue many embarrassing breakdowns and a lot of chocolate), but it was all worth it when the night was over.

All the pictures below courtesy of my lovely friend Olivia Whittaker, who's work, 'The Collective', was also part of the Localities project (and very good, if I do say so myself!)!

Our launch was held in the upstairs room of a local club in Grangetown, called the Lyndon Social Club, which held a lot of character, having been a meeting place for residents for nearly 100 years! We decided to exhibit some of our final images, to give the visitors a sneak peek of what was in our publications. 



A little look into Olivia's 'The Collective' - it was so good to see the people who were in the image's reactions to the final product! Olivia was getting a lot of attention, and may have even sold a couple of photographs...


This was Hollie's 'See No, Hear No, Speak No' project, where she got involved with some of the youth in the area, and gave them a platform to speak about what they like/dislike about Grangetown. Resulted in some very graphic, interesting and beautiful work.


To the left of this image you can see some of Michael's 'Unfamiliar' pictures - very mysterious in style, and very popular!


'Universal Studios' portraits by Laura Book, taken in the same very room where we held the launch!


My own section of the room, previewing my 'Union' photographs. I was so touched to have so many members of FAN come and see my work. I felt honoured to have worked with them, and to see them enjoy themselves, whilst mingling with other people there, was such a joy to watch.


Jamie and Tuomas having a drink. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pictures of their project, 'South District View', displayed, but everyone I spoke too only had positive things to say about it.



By the end of the night, we were exhausted, but fired up. The turn out was so much more than we expected (absolutely packed at points, and we almost completely sold out of publications!), and it was so good to see so many of the community come along to see our work, which was the aim all along. The highlight for me was definitely when some of the local police turned up right at the end, after their local PACT meeting, to see the picture of them Olivia had taken, in full uniform too!

Thank you everyone who came, we hope you had as good a time as we did. Without you, our project would've gone nowhere, and for your support, we are especially grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment